Decayed and damaged teeth can often be saved and restored with a quality dental crown. Dental crowns are the dental fail-safe responsible for renewing the dental health and saving the natural teeth of millions and millions of patients. If you have recently discovered a decayed or damage tooth, Dr. Cofer can help. Schedule your dental crown restoration appointment with Dr. Cofer at Premier Family Dental today. Premier Family Dental is the leading restorative dentistry of Waco, TX, Robinson, Lorena, and the surrounding communities.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Your teeth have two main components, the root and the crown. The root of the tooth is covered by your gums. The part of the tooth that is visible above the gum line is called the crown. A permanent cemented restoration that partially or completely covers the tooth crown is known as a dental crown. Historically, dental crowns were made of metal (amalgam), but modern dentistry utilizes tooth colored porcelain and ceramic which blend seamlessly with your natural surrounding teeth, rendering your restoration virtually invisible.
Do You Need a Dental Crown Restoration?
You may require a dental crown to restore a tooth and protect it from extraction:
- After a Dental Filling: If you have a tooth with an unusually large cavity or fracture (involving half the width of the tooth or more) you will probably need a dental crown. The remaining tooth structure will be too weak and prone to fracture if left uncovered.
- After Root Canal Therapy: Root canal therapy can leave the treated tooth hollowed out, which makes it vulnerable to cracking.
- To Repair a Fractured Tooth: You may need a dental crown to cover a tooth with fractures inside that cause pain when chewing.
- To Reinforce a Worn Down Tooth: If you have a teeth grinding habit, your teeth will become shorter over time or your enamel may wear away completely. The only way to restore your teeth properly is by increasing and reinforcing the biting surface with a dental crown.
- To Restore a Damaged Tooth: Individual teeth that require color, shape, or alignment correction can be made to look naturally beautiful with a new dental crown.
If you need immediate tooth repair, schedule a dental crown restoration appointment with Dr. Cofer at Premier Family Dental today. Premier Family Dental is the trusted restorative dentistry of Waco, TX, Robinson, Lorena, and the neighboring areas.