Tooth-Colored Fillings – Waco, TX
Cavities can happen to anyone. In years past, everyone could tell when you had a cavity. What gave it away? Perhaps it was that silvery metal blob on your teeth. Well, gone are the days when you have to have amalgam fillings. Instead, at our Waco office, we offer tooth-colored fillings expertly crafted to blend seamlessly with your teeth, so only you and Dr. Cofer will know that you’ve had a cavity. Our team is dedicated to making your experience with us as pleasant and the results as healthy and beautiful as possible.
What are tooth-colored fillings made of?
Amalgam fillings consist of a combination of mercury, silver, tin, and copper. In contrast, tooth-colored fillings are metal free and are composed of composite resin, which includes plastic and fine ceramic particles. As a result, this type of filling is much lighter and more biocompatible, allowing it to remain in place much easier than its amalgam counterpart.
What are the benefits of tooth-colored fillings?
In addition to being shaded to match the color of your teeth, composite resin fillings have many advantages, including the following:
- They strengthen your teeth. In order to make sure amalgam fillings stayed in place, more of the tooth structure had to be removed. Composite resin is very flexible and bonds well to teeth, which means that more of your natural tooth can be preserved. It also supports the natural structure of your tooth, restoring its full function and strength.
- They do not come out as easily as amalgam. Although amalgam is very durable, tooth-colored fillings can stay adhered to your teeth through normal wear and tear much better than amalgam fillings.
- They protect your teeth from hot and cold. Patients often complained about sensitivity to hot and cold with metal fillings, but composite resin shields your tooth from these sensations more effectively.
- They look natural. To the untrained eye, composite resin fillings can be practically invisible!
What is the process for placing tooth-colored fillings?
Once Dr. Cofer has determined that you have a cavity, filling it with composite resin follows this simple process:
- Cofer administers a local anesthetic to numb the area.
- Then he cleans out the decayed portions of enamel and ensures that the tooth is free of bacteria.
- Using the shade of resin that best matches your teeth, he applies the putty-like material into the hole, molds and shapes it, and smooths it out.
- He then uses a light to harden the filling.
- Once it is set, he continues to fine tune the filling, ensuring your bite feels comfortable.
Do tooth-colored fillings require special care?
Other than your normal oral care routine, which should include the following habits, tooth-colored fillings do not require extra special care:
- Brushing twice a day.
- Flossing one a day.
- Visiting us twice a year for a checkup and cleaning.
By maintaining proper oral hygiene and partnering with us at Premier Family Dental, you can make sure that your fillings and your teeth can last for many years to come!
Our compassionate, experienced team can restore your smile’s appearance, function, and strength with tooth-colored fillings. We look forward to seeing you and helping you keep your smile happy and healthy. Contact us to schedule an appointment today!