Your Waco Dentist Offers Tips for Building Strong Teeth

December 1, 2015

Woman with a beautiful smile planting healthy foods recommended by the waco dentistWhen it comes to maintaining a healthy smile, dentists offer patients numerous recommendations about oral hygiene, regular preventive care, and early diagnosis and treatment of dental health concerns. One often overlooked way to protect the health of teeth and gums is improved diet. The nutrients we absorb from the foods we eat provide bodies the building blocks necessary to promote optimal oral and whole body health. Two nutrients essential to oral health are calcium and vitamin c.

Calcium Rich Foods for Strong Teeth

1% of the body’s calcium content is used to support metabolic functions such as vascular contraction and vasodilation (heart beats), muscle functions, and nerve transmission. The other 99% of calcium in the body is stored in teeth and bones. The human body uses calcium to strengthen and reshape bones continually. Anyone who has broken a bone has a good idea how resilient bone tissue is. The ability for broken bones to fuse back together is extraordinary, and it’s all thanks to the power of calcium. Teeth are the hardest structures in the body, and keeping teeth strong requires a lot of calcium. Physicians typically recommend patients consume 1200 to 1500 milligrams of calcium each day. Dairy products are the most well-known source of calcium, but green vegetables like broccoli and greens also provide calcium.

Vitamin-C and Gum Health

Vitamin-C is essential to body health because it assists in a number of essential functions. Perhaps the most important function of vitamin-c is the role it plays in collagen production. Collagen is a protein that keeps cartilage, tendons, and blood vessels strong. Without a healthy supply of collagen, people first notice problems with their smiles. A lack of vitamin-c and reduced collagen function leads to gum ulceration and tooth loss. Eventually, the lack of collagen makes it difficult for patients to control limbs. Scurvy is a deadly disease that occurs when a person’s body does not have sufficient vitamin-c to support collagen synthesis. Luckily, vitamin-c is abundant in a variety of foods such as berries, cantaloupe, and citrus fruits. Green vegetables pack an added punch of calcium and vitamin-c for optimal oral health. It’s likely no surprise that nutrient rich vegetables like spinach and mustard greens are good for the whole body.

Contact the Dentist 76712 Area Residents Prefer – Premier Family Dental

Remember, the key to achieving optimal oral and whole body health is to maintain a well-rounded diet rich in a variety of nutrients. Discuss healthy diet options with a physician or dietician before making any dramatic dietary changes. Contact Premier Family Dental to find out more or schedule an appointment today.

by: at .

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

$99

Bleaching For Life

A one-time fee of $99 includes:

2 tubes of bleach and custom trays

2 additional tubes of bleach twice a year at regular cleanings

Patients Love Us

Play Video

©2014 Premier Family Dental | Site designed and maintained by TNT Dental | Sitemap